Forum Home  |  Miscellaneous  |  Tangentville

Anti-RR email: Real rant or hilarious hoax?

by KevinFreitas
on 5/16/2007 @ 10:41am
This all-caps rant went out on the Tacoma Art listserv yesterday:

BOYCOTT MR. ANDERSON'S OBSCENE DRAWINGS

MY NAME IS DOREEN DEEBLE. I REPRESENT A GROUP OF LOCAL ARTISTS FED UP WITH MR "RR" ANDERSON'S DELINQUENCY IN HIS DEALINGS WITH OUR ART COMMUNITY. IF THE ARTS COMMISSION ADMINISTRATION WILL DO NOTHING ABOUT MR. ANDERSON'S ANTICS, IT FALLS UPON US. WE CAN NO LONGER SIT BACK AND ALLOW "RR" TO TRANSFORM THIS LISTSERVE INTO HIS PERSONAL BATHROOM JOKE.

THIRD THURSDAY, WE OF THE TACOMA LIST SERVE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO VISIT THE TACOMA ART MUSEUM, MUSEUM OF GLASS OR EVEN THE HISTORY MUSEUM... ANYTHING EXCEPT GOING TO SEE MR. ANDERSON'S "ATOMIC DRAWING SHOW" AT THE MINERAL.

"RR" HAS DONE NOTHING TO BENEFIT THIS COMMUNITY. THOSE SO CALLED "EDITORIAL CARTOONS" ARE SLANDEROUS, SUBVERSIVE ATTACKS ON OUR FAMILY VALUES THAT WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. I CAN GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE... ONCE I CAME HOME FROM WORK TO FIND MY DAUGHTER SURFING THAT "HOLISTIC FORGEWORKS" WEBSITE, LATER THAT NIGHT MY DAUGHTER ADMITTED SHE ENTERTAINED HOMOSEXUAL DESIRES!

WE ARE PUBLICLY BANNING ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING BY "RR" AND HIS COMPANY, WE'RE RECOMMENDING YOU DO THE SAME.

Mrs. D. Deeble, 206-338-5740
Collation for Urban Decency

Wow, yea. No hits anywhere via Google for a Doreen Deeble nor for any org called the Collation for Urban Decency. Perhaps the "Coalition" would match on something. With that spelling error, lack of Google matches and the phone number resolving to an impersonal fax/vm system, my call is hoax.

Any other thoughts?

by AP on 5/16/2007 @ 11:59am
Concur. D.Deeble appears to be a ghost.

by NineInchNachos on 5/16/2007 @ 1:00pm
;)

by AP on 5/16/2007 @ 2:57pm
Perhaps the wink of a ruthless self-promoter....

by Piffka on 5/21/2007 @ 11:35am
Uh-huh... performance art in a nutshell.

by NineInchNachos on 6/20/2007 @ 12:54pm
from the douglas rushkoff blog:

"a media virus is a unit of media communication that gets attention by either breaking a rule of media, or standing out as a unique media combination. (The Rodney King tape got attention less because a guy was getting beaten by cops, than for the very fact that this scene was captured on videotape. The initial story was the camcorder.) A media virus uses this opportunity to release its code. (In the Rodney King tape, it was the racially charged event of a black guy getting beaten by white cops.) If the code successfully nests itself in the confused code of the audience, it will replicate rapidly until an honest conversation is provoked in the greater culture."

by Erik on 5/18/2008 @ 10:06pm
I am sure it has no connection to Debbie Debble, but I just received the below from Robert Deeble:

Date: Fri, May 16, 2008 at 9:16 AM
Subject: UNSUBSCRIBE Re: [TacomaArt] Friday Frost Park Chalk Challenge NO. 6
To: tacomaart@cityoftacoma.org

UNSUBSCRIBE ME

so SICK OF THESE LIES!

Riddle me this: How come, if a bunch of teens hang out in a park and mark up public property with sharpies and paint, they're "hoodlums vandalizing public property" but if a bunch of hipsters and bloggers do the same thing with chalk its "community involvement and art?"

Quit blocking my sidewalk and scribbling on public property. At least the sidewalk 'art' washes off. I see Kagey continues his blatant disregard for others by insisting on scribbling on vertical surfaces that have to be cleaned, at public (or BIA) expense. Slightly better than pasting stuff on public utility boxes and other public property, but not much.

Your right to 'create' does not give you the right to use public space and I seriously doubt the city has created any 'international chalk district'

bob deeble jr., interactive expressions (owner)

by Mandiferous on 5/19/2008 @ 8:04am
Aah, Ms. Deeble. Hadn't heard from her in a while. I was really hoping her daughter was feeling better.

by scout on 5/19/2008 @ 11:09am
truth can be soooooooo much stranger (more entertaining) than fiction!

by Dave L. on 5/19/2008 @ 1:06pm
Yeah, it's been a while since we've heard from Deeble, (on 133 and such). I do know a few artists on the listserv who are really annoyed at Deeble, even though they recognized her from the start, if you know what I mean. I even know one who will not participate in a certain event because they know she's involved. I dunno - I don't receive the listserv and have no stake, so I'm just sayin' (as they say). But I've heard a few people taking issue with different people/entities flooding the listserv for other than its intended purpose. But hey, the Mineral's cool! Just saw Di Nino's martyr pieces there. Totally no offense intended intended by this post, I hope you know. (Don't break my chalk!)

by Erik on 5/19/2008 @ 1:22pm
I do know a few artists on the listserv who are really annoyed at Deeble, even though they recognized her from the start, if you know what I mean.

I understand your feelings Dave L. However, tolerance should be a high priority if Tacoma is ever going to attract and retain the "creative class."

Florida outlined the three key elements of attracting a "Creative Class" of workers for cities and regions--technology, talent and tolerance--themes drawn from his book, "The Rise of the Creative Class."

goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summary_0199-39...

Although strident, the Deebles certainly must have some redeeming values. Plus, they seem to like the city and participated in the Exit 133 video at a local business in downtown Tacoma, and thus have embraced the "go local" ethos to some extent:

www.exit133.com/2689/exit133-video-mr-rr...

by Dave L. on 5/19/2008 @ 1:31pm
Dang, editing time ran out (although I deeply appreciate the editing feature and seem to use every minute of it). Well, I almost didn’t post because they weren’t my feelings I were expressing exactly – I’m out of that loop, personally. Your reply appreciated though. Needless to say, I've enjoyed Ms Deebles' efforts, Haha - I just rechecked the definition of "strident." :-)

by NineInchNachos on 5/19/2008 @ 1:50pm
If all this really is just somebody's sick joke, I am just as much a victim.

Not only did this 'deeple' hoax end up destroying my professional relationship with the Mineral, the Dinino(s) AND all my contacts at THE [TACOMA] NEWS TRIBUNE... these hoaxers also put undue strain on my marriage & personal life.

Make art not trouble i say!