Forum Home  |  Politics & Government  |  Candidates & Elected Officials

Titlow pool $125K repair bill.

by fredo
on 2/27/2009 @ 7:51am
Titlow pool which may be torn out at the end of the year is getting a $125K worth of repair work. The swimming season is about 90 days so this figures out to about $1300 per day to keep this relic on life support. Why squander public funds?

by jenyum on 2/27/2009 @ 8:29am
Strangely enough Fredo... I'm not sure I disagree. If a big chunk of change from the parks bond is to go to a special project this summer, I would rather see it spend in one of the low income areas of the city.

The loudest voices get what they want I guess... Wish I'd been paying more attention to these developments.

by jenyum on 2/27/2009 @ 8:43am
I just emailed the Metro Parks board. In particular, I am disappointed that Franklin and McCarver Park (especially McCarver!) have seen little to no progress, given the number of low income families they serve.

by Urban E on 2/27/2009 @ 12:27pm
jenyum,
I suspect you'll get an email back from metro bragging about the major improvements that will be coming to McCarver starting this summer. It is rumored that the governor has put somthin like 800k in her budget to split between McCarver and Wrights and the city is gonna pony up 100k. We'll see how much really comes that way though. I would have to agree that it is a shame that it took a little girl getting killed before McCarver finally got some attention.

by jenyum on 2/27/2009 @ 9:05pm
If something is actually going to happen at McCarver this year that would truly be wonderful news. I have been told this before, however, and whenever I look for updates there's been no movement.

Originally, the plan was to have the park redone by July 4th of last year.

Then, I was told the project was more extensive than originally planned, and they were putting the money together to begin construction this Spring.

Now, I see on the website that the anticipated bid date is March 2009 (next month) and there is no estimated construction or substantial completion date.

It wouldn't even have occurred to me to push the issue right now, (I'd assumed there's no money) but hearing that 125K in discretionary money is potentially going to be spent to refurbish a pool in an affluent neighborhood, I'm a little disheartened.

Who knows if that state money will materialize. I'd like to see it, but I hope that's not the extent of the plan. I do hope there's some good news on this, and I hope I hear from them soon.

by NineInchNachos on 2/27/2009 @ 9:11pm
Nice find Fredo. This is rather silly.

by Mofo from the Hood on 2/27/2009 @ 9:43pm
Yeah, I recall a story in the Trib the other day about Titlow Pool needing some new drains that don't suck people into them.

The pool is being fixed primarily for Tacoma Swim Club and the news story mentioned that there was talk of confronting the club for sharing part of the bill.

There's an official Olympic size pool in Federal Way but the news story didn't mention that. Seems to me that if the Tacoma Swim Club gathered at that pool for this season, then the Titlow Pool repair bill could be spared and the money applied to the planned replacement pool (or used for Metro Park employee bar-hopping).

by Urban E on 2/27/2009 @ 10:07pm
The reason the McCarver project is taking so long is because the site is a Brownfied and needs to be cleaned up. It's rumored that a Japanese couple had a gas station on that site before the war and well we all know how that story goes. There had been some movement with some core sampling to test for contamination about 2-3 months ago so I would assume the results are back and they're developing a cleanup plan. Speaking from experience it's good timing because there will be less groundwater to deal with during cleanup.

by jenyum on 2/27/2009 @ 10:12pm
Thanks, Urban E. for the update.