Forum Home  |  Politics & Government  |  Candidates & Elected Officials

Election 2009

by fredo
on 7/20/2009 @ 7:54am
There's an off year election coming up. But its not an unimportant election. Here in Tacoma we're going to be electing a new mayor, some new city councilmen, some new school district commissioners, a new county auditor and some port commissioners.

I've seen little discussion of the election in the MSM and little on feedtacoma as well. Is there anyone who could point me to an analysis of the candidates and their positions?

by Erik on 7/20/2009 @ 8:39am
Yes Fredo. Tacoma will also be having elections for Tacoma School Board.

Introduction:

Today, the Tacoma Sun publishes the first of a series of questions and answers to candidates. Below is Tacoma School Board Candidate Chris Van Vechtenís response to critical questions affecting Tacoma School District from an urban perspective.

Chris Van Vechten

Question No.1 Location of Schools

Since the 1950s, many school boards have closed local neighborhood schools in favor of new remote suburban schools with large fields.

Do you support closing neighborhood schools in favor of larger modern schools on the edge of the city? To what degree do you support renovating existing schools?

www.tacomasun.com/2009/07/20/school-boar...

by fredo on 8/8/2009 @ 7:15am
I've read everything I could get my hands on about the candidates in the upcoming primary election and was disappointed to find little real difference in the expressed positions of the candidates.

However, using the voters guide I was able to make a sort of differentiation of the candidates by looking at how many times the candidate used the "bold font" key when preparing his or her personal statement. Here are the results:

Council District 5

Joe Lonergan 56
Beckie Summers Kirby 27
John Miles 0

Council District 4

Marty Campbell 10
Roxanne Murphy 6
Susanne Marten 0

Obviously, Miles and Marten don't even know how to use the bold key on their computers so they probably would not be able to manage a city the size of Tacoma and should not advance beyond the primary election.

Regarding the School Board, not a single candidate knows how to use the bold key. I'll have to consider some other variable.

by KevinFreitas on 8/8/2009 @ 7:24am
Morgan's been keeping track of the election coverage at i.feedtacoma.com/morgan/official-feedtac... as well.

Hahaha, I do love the bold key analysis. Lonergan must really have something to say! Did any of them use all caps? I hate people who yell all the time. ;)

by fredo on 8/8/2009 @ 11:30am
JOE- The BOLD candidate with BOLD ideas.

by jenyum on 8/13/2009 @ 11:12am
Hi Fredo,

Catherine responded directly to your questions on Tacomamama:

www.tacomamama.com/2009/07/20/stand-for-...

by NineInchNachos on 8/13/2009 @ 1:10pm
anybody notice a yard-sign design similarity between Ms. U-Hall and our old friend Dino Rossi's yard sign design?

by fredo on 8/13/2009 @ 7:37pm
Jenyum@ Thanks for the update. I've posted my response on Tacomamama.

by Miles for Tacoma on 8/15/2009 @ 7:30am
I'VE HAD IT WITH THESE BLOG FORUMS. I CAN'T FIND A WAY TO EMPHASIZE MY POINTS.

by fredo on 8/15/2009 @ 7:51am
John- I'm sure there are some undecided District 5 voters looking for a way to differentiate the candidates. Give it your best shot.

by Miles for Tacoma on 8/15/2009 @ 10:54am
That previous post was in jest, of course. Sorry about my lack of
bold font in the voters' pamphlet; I've never done this before.

I have been working with my neighborhood group for the last three years. We've got our neighborhood cleaned up and the crime rate down. I think voters should ask not only what the candidates' views are, but what they've done.

A council candidate should have attended some council meetings in the last year. They should work with city staff on projects that affect their neighborhoods. They should be active in their local neighborhood groups improving their neighborhoods. They should be able to point to actual projects they've done.

Our neighborhood group has cleaned out the junk cars. We've removed 100 tons of trash through our cleanups. We've reduced car prowls through our educational efforts. We've encouraged better appearance through our Most Improved Yard campaign. The list goes on. I want to get on the council to ensure that other neighborhoods have a chance to partner with the city the way we have.

by fredo on 8/19/2009 @ 7:41am
Voters seem to be embracing Fredo's analysis of the city council candidates. Drawing the most votes are Campbell and Lonergan, the candidates who most conspicuously used the BOLD key when preparing their candidate statements. Drawing the least votes were Marten and Miles, the candidates who didn't know how to use the BOLD key.