Forum Home  |  What's Going On  |  Business Promotions & Announcements

98406.net

by jenyum
on 12/10/2007 @ 10:51am
After meeting Justin Carder a few weeks ago at the South Sound Technology Conference, I thought I'd take a look at Myzip.net. I ended up taking on a blog for my zipcode, 98406.net.

I'm really glad Myzip wants real local bloggers and local content for these websites, which have been around for a little while with just business listings and rankings. (The featured businesses are assigned democratically, according to what readers rank.) They have pretty decent terms, too. Bloggers get a little bit of compensation and retain the rights to their material. (Shared with Myzip, of course.)

To my knowledge, there aren't any other Tacoma bloggers on the system yet, so you can sign up to blog for your own zipcode. All it takes is 5 posts a week, on any subject related to your neighborhood.

by Erik on 12/10/2007 @ 11:12am
Very cool. Hyper local.

by jenyum on 12/10/2007 @ 11:19am
Thanks! And I'm thinking hey, I'm hyper and local, so that works!

by KevinFreitas on 12/10/2007 @ 11:30am
Haha, yea that's a pretty nice concept. You'll have to let everyone know if you make any $$ blogging there.

by jenyum on 12/10/2007 @ 11:34am
Well, the cool thing is right now they pay a flat $50 a month, as long as you post your five entries a week. That's more than I made off Tacomamama until last month, so I'm considering it a very good deal for now.

by jenyum on 12/20/2007 @ 1:12pm
Now with RSS!

www.myzip.net/outside/rss/98406

If anyone in my zip ever has any good blog fodder, let me know.

by thriceallamerican on 12/20/2007 @ 2:11pm
So I have a (only slightly related) question. Why do many of the businesses on the south side of 6th Ave have 98406 addresses? Show some love for the 98405, peeps!

by jenyum on 12/20/2007 @ 2:43pm
I don't know, every time I want to blog about a business and go to look it up, it seems like it's in 98403, or 98407. Business addresses don't seem to be as straightforward as residential ones.

Maybe you should sign up for 98405, then you can start your own blog with that question. The Battlesim store proudly sports a 98405 address. You know, for all your pretend army needs.

by thriceallamerican on 12/21/2007 @ 10:10am
Unfortunately:

a) I apparently can't even find the time to write on my own blog, let alone someone else's
b) While I live in 98405, I'm in close enough proximity to 6th that it really is the center of most of my at-home activity. Better that someone in Hilltop or the Target Business District fill those shoes than me.

What I'd really like to see is for all of the south-side businesses to proudly carry the zip code that they are rightfully located in. Viva 98405!!! ;-)